- This event has passed.
Hull Film Festival: Animals
Mon 1st Jul 2019 @ 6:30 pm£6 – £8
Sophie Hyde | 2019 | UK | 105 mins | Cert 15 | English language | Comedy/Drama
Would-be writer Laura (Holliday Grainger) and her free-spirited bestie Tyler (Alia Shawkat) share a messy Dublin apartment and a hearty appetite for booze, Molly and one-night stands. Yet when Laura falls for Jim (Fra Fee), a charming but straitlaced classical pianist, Tyler worries that the party may soon be over.
Adapted by Emma Jane Unsworth from her acclaimed 2014 novel of the same name, Animals explores the long hangover between adolescence and adulthood through a bittersweet tale of two friends growing up and growing apart. Sophie Hyde, whose debut feature, 52 Tuesdays, won a best directing award at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival, takes a refreshingly non-judgmental look at this fraught friendship, following Laura and Tyler through their hedonistic highs and soul-searching lows. Shawkat’s live-wire performance gives Tyler an anarchic comic edge that perfectly complements Grainger’s soulful turn as the conflicted and creatively blocked Laura. The duo are supported by a stellar cast, including Dermot Murphy as a dreamy, drug-addled suitor and Amy Molloy as Grainger’s weary but loving sister.
Holliday Grainger, Alia Shawkat, Fra Fee
“Refreshingly frank and unautocratic about sex, drugs and the uniquely female desire to be free of judgment, Animals dares to love the pair of imperfect friends that lead the way.” – Tomris Laffly, RogerEbert.com
See more of the festival at www.hullfilmfestival.co.uk
Save up to £68 by purchasing a Full Festival Pass. To purchase click here.
Hull Independent Cinema members receive discounts for Hull Film Festival tickets. To purchase an annual membership, please click here.
Programme details and tickets
• All films run without adverts and trailers and will be preceded by a short introduction from the festival team.
• The screening room opens 10-15 minutes before the programme begins, although the venue is open earlier.
• Hull Film Festival reserves the right to refuse admission to audience members arriving after the advertised start time.
• Tickets are unreserved seating – seat choice is first come, first served, upon doors opening, access to the VIP leather seating will be prioritised for Full Festival Passholders.
• Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
• Tickets are not available from the Vue Cinema website or box office on-site, and are not included in Vue’s £4.99 ticket deal.
• Advance tickets can only be purchased by phone or online, not in person.
• Tickets can be bought from the Hull Film Festival stand at Vue Cinema Hull 30 minutes prior to the start of a performance.