- This event has passed.
Hull Film Festival: The Last Tree
Tue 2nd Jul 2019 @ 8:30 pm£6 – £8
Shola Amoo | 2019 | UK | 100 mins | No cert (TBC) Entry 18+ | English language | Drama
Femi, a British boy of Nigerian heritage, enjoys a happy childhood in Lincolnshire, where he’s raised by doting foster mother Mary and surrounded by a tight-knit group of friends – until his real mum reclaims him and deposits him into a very different life in her small inner-London flat. With little emotional bond to his mother and no remembrance of their cultural heritage, Femi struggles to adapt. As he gets used to his new environment, Femi hardens himself, pulling away from the wishes of both of his ‘mothers’ and forging ahead in a brazen attempt to build his own identity.
Writer/director Shola Amoo pairs a lived-in honesty with a fresh, exciting stylistic panache in this depiction of the crooked –and at times perilous – path to manhood. The lyrical texture of Amoo’s filmmaking both visually and aurally expresses the changes in Femi’s internal state, while this unflinchingly unsentimental coming-of-age film consistently defies our expectations of what will happen next.
Nicholas Pinnock, Denise Black, Gbemisola Ikumelo
“Thoughtfully alternates universal adolescent insecurities with urgently specific minority politics.” – Guy Lodge, Variety
See more of the festival at www.hullfilmfestival.co.uk
Save up to £68 by purchasing a Full Festival Pass. To purchase click here.
Hull Independent Cinema members receive discounts for Hull Film Festival tickets. To purchase an annual membership, please click here.
Programme details and tickets
• All films run without adverts and trailers and will be preceded by a short introduction from the festival team.
• The screening room opens 10-15 minutes before the programme begins, although the venue is open earlier.
• Hull Film Festival reserves the right to refuse admission to audience members arriving after the advertised start time.
• Tickets are unreserved seating – seat choice is first come, first served, upon doors opening, access to the VIP leather seating will be prioritised for Full Festival Passholders.
• Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
• Tickets are not available from the Vue Cinema website or box office on-site, and are not included in Vue’s £4.99 ticket deal.
• Advance tickets can only be purchased by phone or online, not in person.
• Tickets can be bought from the Hull Film Festival stand at Vue Cinema Hull 30 minutes prior to the start of a performance.